May 18, 2011

buy this, not that: tueday morning

buy this, not that: tuesday morning edition.
first of all, thank you so much for the responses to my first post in this series,
buy this, not that: ross edition.
here are a few of my favorite comments from last time:



and, of course, i need to put in the "disclaimer" again...

realize that by reading this and looking at
these pictures, that you are getting my big, fat opinions on all of this, 
and you should not get offended  if you have,  in fact, bought "that". 
and, hey, it's all a matter of opinion, right?
ok, so here goes!

buy THIS:
adds color?
adds texture?
looks like you'd want to snuggle up in it?
yep.
go ahead and buy it.

not THAT:
um...besides the fact that you would probably cut yourself on all of the sequins and rhinestones,
you aren't allowed to have something like this in your room unless you happen to be a 9 year old girl.

buy THIS:

not THAT:
oooo...i've got you a little stumped on this one, don't i??
so, the point i am trying to make here is that if you are in the market for a
plain blanket like this one, and you have a choice, always pick the one that
has an interesting texture. anytime you can add some great texture to a room, go for it!

buy THIS:
simple. 
timeless.
clean.
(no, not a pun...but if it WAS, it would be an AWESOME one.)
i'm pretty sure this soap dispenser comes with a light-up/singing sweatshirt that 
plays "grandma got run over by a reindeer".

buy THIS:


not THAT:
if you were ariel--as in "the little mermaid",  i would totally approve of you putting these in your bathroom, if not, opt for something with a more simple and transitional shape. see above.

buy THIS:
cute design?
great colors to build a party around?
would work for anything from a kids party to an impromptu potluck to a bridal shower?
yes!
green light! take them to the register.

not THAT:
ugh. 
predictable, and pretty bleh.
step it up, paper plate manufacturers, step it UP!

buy THIS:
the abstract florals and bright, saturated colors
make this wrapping paper vibrant, sophisticated and fun.

not THAT:
i'm pretty sure that a matching wallpaper border was made for this wrapping paper...
in like, 1985.

 buy THIS:
vera wang, periwinkle note cards?
classy all the way!

not THAT:
these are just a little...NOT vera wang-ish.

buy THIS:
 classic shape. cool texture.
great color would add a little zing to any closet or shelf.

not THAT:
um. *yawn.

buy THIS:
wouldn't a candle look so pretty in here, all flickering away?
the shadows would be really nice!

not THAT:
this votive holder reminds me of an organ....like a brain or intestines or something else that
i never want to see with my bare eyeballs.  it's a little creepy...is it just me? and wouldn't it look
even WORSE all red and glowing from the candle? eww...intestines aflame! (ouch.)

buy THIS:
classy. elegant. really allows the photo to be the "star".

not THAT:
nothing WRONG here, but really nothing RIGHT either.
(and sorry for the blurry picture!)

buy THIS:
animal prints are neutrals, so this rug could literally go anywhere. the giraffe
print would look really cute in a nursery or a screened in porch.

not THAT:
in an ideal world, this rug would have never been manufactured. if you,  or someone in your family
 loves baseball, there are classier ways to showcase that obsession.
just say "no" to themed rugs.

buy THIS:
texture. color. pattern.
check, check, check.

not THAT:
uh....blanche devereaux from "the golden girls called". she wants her  floral mauve brocade pillow back. 

buy THIS:
cutesy, but not too cutesy. the graphic element of the birds and branches in silhouette
make this rug a winner.

not THAT
you like cocktails? and margaritas? and cute tropical drinks? 
that. is. awesome. 
you don't need a rug announcing it.
just walk away.

buy THIS:
great shape, and what a fun color! even if you hated the green, you
could repaint it and still have a nice accent table/nightstand on your hands.

not THAT:
flutter away. literally.

buy THIS:
i know that foo dogs happen to be trendy right now, but the strong black and white elements
of the lamp will remain timeless. a pair of them are even cuter than they are by themselves.

not THAT:
is there anything WRONG with this lamp?
no...it's just a little..."meh".

buy THIS:
in my opinion, mercury glass is one of those things that will always look fabulous!
it works with any color scheme or decor and adds some shimmer and reflective
yumminess to any space.

not THAT:
uh...it's white! 
no.... it's green! 
no, wait, it's BOTH.
yikes.

buy THIS:
again, if people were pillows...
this pillow would have all kinds of amazing seafaring adventures to share with you!

not THAT:
this pillow would talk about their battle with psoriasis and want you to feel the
"weird bump" on their armpit. no thanks.



20 comments:

  1. lol ... completely agree with all of these.

    nataliemack.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I've been waiting for another one of your buy this, not that posts and this definitely did not disappoint. I might even have to go check out Tuesday Market!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, although I gotta disagree on one (ONLY 1!!). The black table with butterflies (ugh!) has a great shape and could easily be repainted as well. Just my opinion:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these posts...hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was a little worried I might see something I bought in the "not that" category. We're all good here.

    You would have plenty of "not that's" to work with if you'd been in Hobby Lobby with me this afternoon. There are literally aisles and aisles of heavy looking pieces in every possible bad finish imaginable. You would have a field day for your next buy this, not that post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun times!!

    Love the wallpaper you found in your last post! Where are the best places to shop for wallpaper?

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh no...looks like a trip to customer service for me...that "lets get drunk on a tropical island" rug got the better of me. aarrgh...guess i should've phoned a friend before making that purchase. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha-ha-larious! Disclaimer is too funny! I love the elegant mirrored frame, the animal print rug, and the foo dog lamp. It's funny because I was just there today and I was walking down the home decor aisles thinking to myself..."buy this, not that!" I actually got some really cute white bamboo rimmed rectangle plates for $3 a pop! I was hoping they would not show up on your post as NOT THAT!:) Love it, great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is fantastic, I predict your mantra "buy this, not that" will be running through my mind during my next shopping trip.
    Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love it! funny and super helpful for those of us with a not-so-designer's eye :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A couple of "thats" would be cute if painted... I love the mercury glass, it's like jewelry for your room.

    ReplyDelete
  12. this was very clever!! loved it! you made me laugh just when I needed it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. whew! I made it through another one without owning one of the "not thats"! love these posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE this series! I'm still laughing...I have those foo dog lamps - thank goodness they were in the 'buy this' category.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the "not that" wrapping paper! I've designed many a print similar to the floral stripe (but not this one..) and am always partial to that look! For me, the one above seems very ordinary...each to his own, right??

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this! hilarious and yet great suggestions. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hilarious and informative!
    I hope you continue to do these types of posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great post! I can never find anything when I go into Tuesday Morning, Home Goods, etc. It all looks like a lot of junk to me. Your explanations of reasons to buy inspired me to look again, because I love a bargain.

    ReplyDelete
  19. With you all the way! Love this series...

    ReplyDelete