Apr 16, 2013

paint for my new house

i am so excited that the house is getting painted!
in previous homes, i have specified anywhere from 5 to 15 colors of paint for the interior, but to keep costs down, we have opted to only have one color for trim, one color for ceilings/walls, one color for stairs parts + doors and one accent color.

i chose the same color for the trim that i chose for the kitchen cabinets---a soft white called "swiss coffee OC-45" by benjamin moore:

i wanted the ceilings to still read as white, but i wanted a slight variation between the trim. i chose "winds breath OC-24", also by benjamin moore.

to save a LOT of money, we opted to have the walls sprayed the same color as the ceilings. this will allow me to have a nice backdrop for the time being, until i can go through each room and paint them the color that i REALLY want them to be.
right now, the only room i plan on leaving white is the kitchen/dining room.


i painted the interior doors of my last house (nearly 6 years ago) a black called "onyx" and i LOVED them. i know everyone and their dog is now painting their doors black, and i thought twice about NOT painting them black, but then i realized that the only reason i didn't want to paint them was because everyone else was doing it.
(ugh. do you ever do this design pschoanalyzing stuff too??)

i couldn't decide what was worse....following a trend even though it was something i did years ago and liked it, or NOT following a trend purely because it was a trend and i din't want to be another "follower". i ultimately decided that this house for me isn't about setting trends or following them....it is about creating a place where my family and i are happy.
trends will come and go.
i feel like i know my taste really well, and if i like something, i am going to do it. trend or not.
SO, i will be painting the doors black. but a slightly softer black called "blackjack 2133-20".



and as for the accent color?
it will only be going in the bonus room. since the ceilings are vaulted, and the room will function mainly as a media room, i wanted something really dark and warm.
i chose a color called "deep creek 1477"
it is a nice, deep brown with lots of grey in it.

once we move in, we will add trim (yay for crown molding and coffered ceilings!), and i will eventually paint every room in the entire house. eventually....
for now, i am fine with the white...plus it's one less decision i have to make right now!


13 comments:

  1. What finish to you like on your interior walls?

    -Andrea
    What Should I Wear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question! I totally should have included that info in the post. The walls and ceilings are flat, and the stairs, trim and doors are semi gloss.
      When I repaint the walls, I will most likely choose an eggshell or satin.

      Delete
  2. swiss coffee is my favorite BM paint for trim--great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the colors here and yes, let's hear it for white (and it's variations)! That Deep Creek is wonderful. You will have lots of time (years...) to repaint and refine everything, but these are perfect back drop, liveable colors. When do you actually move in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah---sometime the first week of may! hopefully may first, but we will see---there is still a LOT to get done!

      Delete
  4. Sounds fantastic. I love the black door "trend" & here in Australia it is still waiting to catch on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been fighting the black door trend because I didn't want to be just another follower, but I really, really love the look! You have convinced me to jump on the bandwagon! Is the Blackjack 2133-20 also a Benjamin Moore color?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! it is. sorry--should have put that on the post. most colors i use are BM, so if i use one that isn't i always make sure to specify.

      Delete
  6. Autumn you are amazing. We are just starting with the Architect and I plan on copying your house (not the floor plan but the interior). ;) Hope you don't mind. If you ever come north to Perry feel free to come on by. I hope to see more pictures so I can copy everything ;) You are so brilliant. Way to go!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well shucks. thanks!
      :)
      how great that you are building a house! so exciting!

      Delete
  7. I think if you really love it (and you do) then don't worry about it looking "trendy" because for you it is classic! ( I personally think it is a classic look that has just "become" trendy) ;)

    Love what you chose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks annie! i agree. it is kinda hard sometimes because there are a lot of trendy things right now that are classic!

      Delete
  8. Years ago when you first posted about your foyer in your last house and you said you painted them BM Onyx, I said to myself, "One day I will have black doors and they shall be Onyx." Well, guess who finally got Onyx black doors this weekend? My husband was wary of the change, but I used your photos from your old foyer and your recent post with pictures of your blackjack doors and he was convinced. I love your black doors, and now I can love mine too!

    ReplyDelete